Friday, March 6, 2009

Adam Vallance



This is a picture of Adam Vallance the 3rd. Born 3 April 1838, son of Adam Vallance and Elizabeth Jane Wible.


Adam Vallance Timeline
Father of James Vallance (Pennsylvania, Ohio)
I love tracking this line. It is a bit of a mystery. Please, if you have any information regarding this man, his wife, or his children, please email me. I would love to share whatever information I have. Following is a time line I've created from 1763-1837. Included are Adam and his children on a variety of Tax Censuses and Adam's will.


(1763)
We learn, from Reverend Dr. Dorr's Historical account of Christ and St. Peter's Churches, Philadelphia, that in July, 1763, the "back inhabitants," Bedford, with other points, were in such distressed condition from the "inroads of the savages," that the congregation of Christ and St. Peter's Episcopal Churches of Philadelphia, at the instance of their Rector, Reverend Richard Peters, contributed the sum of 662 pounds 3s for their relief, and after corresponding with the minister and wardens of the Episcopal Church at Carlisle, for information, sent "supplies of flour, rice, medicine, and other necessaries, together with two chests of arms and half a barrel of powder, four hundred pounds of lead, two hundred of swan shot, and one thousand flints."
(Source: A Short History of Bedford County, Charles N. Hickok, from An Illustrated History of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, pub. Wm. H. Egle, 1876.)
Contributed for use by the
Bedford County Genealogy Project

(1785)
Martha born Phillidelphia, Pennsylvania and dies same year Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Church located in Berks County, Pennsylvania.

(1786)
Elizabeth born Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

(1789)
John born Pennsylvania (Marries Anna Amick)

(1790)
Bedford Census shows no presence of Vallance surname only Valuntine/Valentine. Adam Wible is not present.

(1792)
Catherine born Pennsylvania

(1795)
Mary M. born Pennsylvania (Marries into surname Hetrick)

(1797)
Valentine born Pennsylvania (Marries first name Mary, last name unknown. His son, John R. dies in Elkhart, Indiana.)

(1800)
Census for Bedford, Pennsylvania - Adam Vallance not listed, but Adam Wibble is accounted for as well as the Sipes and other families his posterity later marries into.

(1801)
Martha and Rachel born Pennsylvania (Twins)? (Martha marries John Glass - 1880 Census shows her in New Durham, La Porte, Indiana. Father born Scotland, Mother born New York. Widowed. Her oldest son James V. is with her.)

(1803)
James born Pennsylvania (Marries Elizabeth Brubaker. Married in PA, oldest children born Fayette, Pennsylvania. Moves to Ohio.)

(1806)
Adam born Bethal, Bedford, Pennsylvania (Marries Elizabeth Jane Wible. Stays in Bedford, PA which becomes Fulton, PA. His son Adam moves to Madison, Sandusky, Ohio.)

(1810)
Census for Dublin Bedford, Pennsylvania - Adam Vallance not listed, but Adam Wibble is accounted for as well as the Sipes and other families his posterity later marries into.

(1814)
Census: Dublin Township Tax List (Now Fulton County)
Vallams Adam 59 Weaver
Vallams John 26 Shoemaker
Benson, James 57 Weaver * I believe his son married Adam's daughter Elizabeth
Wible, Adam 43 Farmer

(1820)
Census: DublinTwp., Bedford Co.
Contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by Michael S. Caldwell.
msc@juno.com

1820 PA Census: Bedford Co. Dublin Township Asterisks (*) indicate unclear words or numbers.
Adam WIBLE Males: 3 (<10);>John VALLANCE Males: 1 (<10);>Adam VALLANCE Males: 1 (<10);>



(1825)
Duplicate Poor Tax List -1825, Dublin Township, Bedford County, Pa.
(Valance/Vallance and a couple other names of interest taken from a very long list)

Armstrong, John
Blubaker, George
Dishong, Mathias
Valance, Adam
Valance, John

SINGLE FREEMEN
Vallance, James
Wible, William
Wible, John

We the subscribers two of the Justices of the peace of Dublin Township Bedford County Do Approve and Allow this assessment Witness our hand and Seals 30th Day of March AD 1825
John Davis
Mathias Cline
Michael Wollet & Philip Newman overseers
[Transcribed by Carol Eddleman.]



(1828-1830)
Adam Vallance’s Will




In the name of God amen, I Adam Valance of Dublin Township, Bedford County and State of Penna. being in good health of body and of sound and disposing mind and memory praised be God for the same and being desirous to settle my worldly affairs whilst I have strength and capacity so to do make and publish this my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all former wills made by me at any time heretofore and first and principally I commit my soul into the hands of my creator who gave it and my body to the earth to be interred in a decent Christian like manner at the discretion of my executors herein after named and as to such worldly estate. Wherewith it pleased God to intrust me I dispose of the same as followeth.

I will that all my just debts as shall be by me owing at my death together with my funeral expenses and all charges touching the proving of or otherwise concerning this my will, shall in the first place out of my personal estate and effects be fully paid and satisfied and from and after payment thereof and subject thereunto. Then my beloved wife Catherine her living on the place as long as she lives in case she survives me, if she choses to go of it. I then allow her two cows, one fat hog and twelve bushel of wheat yearly, also three head of sheep all to be fed of the place and her own household effects.


I also give and bequeath to my eight children- Elizabeth Binson, John Valance, Catherine Valance or her three children, Mary Hetrick, Valentine Valance, Rachel Valance now married, Martha Glass, and James Valance the sum of one dollar each as full compensation as their share, and not to be paid by my executor until seven year after my decease.

I also give and bequeath to my son Adam Valance, the plantation and tract of land I now live on with all my personal property except what my beloved wife Catherine chooses to keep, he complying with the above as stated, to him his heirs and _____ forever. I make ordain my son Adam Valance Executor of this my last will and testament. In witness whereof I the said Adam Valance to this my last will and testament have set my hand and seal, declaring it to be my last will and testament dated the seventeenth day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty eight, 1828.


Signed in presence of
John Davis Samuel Newman


Bedford County for be it remembered that on the 23 day of August AD 1830. Personally appeared before the Subscriber Register for the probate of wills and granting letters of administration in the for said county, John Davis Esq. and Samuel Newman the subscribing witnesses to the foregoing instrument of writing who being duly sworn according to the law depose and say that they were personnaly present and hereto and saw the testator Adam Valance sign, seal, publish, pronounce, & declare the foregoing instrument of writing as and for his last will and testament that at the time ____ of the testator was of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding according to the best of their knowledge and belief. That they subscribed their names thereto as witnesses in presence of the testator and at his request.
Job Mann – Register John Davis
Samuel Newman


Be it remembered that on the 23 day of August A.D. 1830 Letters
Testamentary were granted to Adam Vallance Executor in the foregoing will named, his having been duly sworn according to Law.


(1837)
CHAPTER XCIII.
LICKING CREEK.

Organization of the Township in 1837 - Taxable Inhabitants, Mills and Industries in 1838 - Personal Sketches of Prominent Men - Austin's Tannery - Saluvia Postoffice - Green Hill Presbyterian church - Harrisonville Odd-Fellows' Lodge.


LICKING CREEK was organized as a township of Bedford county, September 21, 1837. It derives its name from the principal stream of the township. The surface is hilly, broken and mountainous; in the valleys are some fine farms, well- improved. The township contains the two small villages of Harrisonville and Saluvia. The following list of the taxable inhabitants of Licking Creek township in 1838 is copied from the assessment books in the commissioners' office at Bedford:


Listed among many were:
Adam Vallance (son of Adam Sr.)
Adam Wible

No comments: